Eliot Sinclair & Partner’s Urban Design team stems from decades of experience within the Canterbury and South Island region, and the relationships formed with developers and landowners. The Urban Design projects undertaken at Eliot Sinclair ranges from large-scale regional planning and land development through to boutique high density and comprehensive developments Eliot Sinclair is renowned for can also be described as regional planning.
Our Urban Design approach begins with our shared vision. This shared vision between Eliot Sinclair and our clients is based on our overarching design principles and drivers.
Our design principles are based on striving to deliver an appropriate response to:
· Social Well-being
· Connectivity and Networks
· Cultural Values
· Spatial Diversity
We test the above principles against new innovative practices and technology, and determine the resilience and capacity of the site to evolve or transition over time.
Our Urban Designers have extensive experience in private and public plan changes for greenfields and brownfields sites; lot, open space and road layout and design; holistic stormwater management areas; and boutique high density comprehensive developments. Our designers also have experience in public realm and urban renewal projects.
A selection of the type of scale of development that Eliot Sinclair Urban Designers are proficient in designing and leading thought to completion of construction are:
Plan Changes 71 & 72 (CCC), Wigram Skies, Portlink Industrial and IPort Business Parks, Townsend Fields, Kintyre Estates, Cashmere Estates, as well as the two Special Housing Areas in Canterbury namely Chelsea Green and Karamu (Riccarton Racecourse Development).
Our urban design (and regional planning) work includes:
- Conceptual urban design visual summary documents for the scoping of future land use activities.
- Large scale ‘plan change’ requests.
- Community consultation.
- Master planning and urban design of ‘green field’ and ‘brown field’ sites.
- Preparing urban design assessments for resource consent applications and presentation in Council hearings.
- Urban Renewal including social housing and affordable housing initiatives, retirement villages and comprehensive developments.
- 3D bulk and location modelling for built environment, as well as 3D printing for conceptual discussions with the client.
Marketing and sales presentation graphics of the development for reports, brochures and billboards.